SAINT ANTON’S CHURCH
Saint Anton’s Church was built at the end of the 19th Century and finished in 1894. It was built on the location of one of the destroyed medieval Bihac Churches. Catholic Church in Bihac belongs to those sacral buildings that can be seen all over NW part of Croatia. The constructors of St. Anton’s Church, before all, made sure that this building has got emphasized space conception but at the same time not neglecting the use of decorative elements. The Church itself was more than impressive for its time. The Church occupied around 900 square meters of space. With its tall rectangle bell tower, together with Fethija Mosque and Captain’s Tower, it dominated over the town’s urban core. The Church changed its previous appearance during the WWII. In 1941, the authorities decided to demolish the Orthodox Church in Bihac and to use the material to expand the Catholic Church. Another storey was added to the bell tower and Church itself was extended into the shape of a cross. After the reconstruction it became one of three biggest Churches in Bosnia whose length was 58 meters. In 1944 Allied aviation forces bombed the enemy positions within the city on which occasion the Church also got destroyed. Nowadays the only part left to withstand the time is the rectangle bell tower, a reminder of all the terrors of war.